RECENT POST

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It's only been 2 days?

I've been here two full days and it feels like a week!


Today I:

  • Got my Identification Number (CURP -- Clave Única de Registro de Población) 
  • Found out I'm too late to register for Portuguese classes this semester =(  I need to prove proficiency in 3 languages (for me -- English, Spanish, Portuguese) by the end of my first year, though it's not clear level of competency I need.
  • Visited 2 housing option, including one I really like that's available now! (Since it's summer vacation, many housing options aren't available until mid or late August)
  • Learned how to ride the metro, including switching lines multiple times. The walking distance underground to transfer lines seemed really long, compared to my experiences with the DC, NYC and Buenos Aires metro/subway/subte systems. 
  • Ate some delicious mango, purchased fresh from a roadside stand. The man has a cart with mangos, cantaloupe, watermelon and papaya. You tell him what you want and he cuts it up -- with some very impressive knife skills! You have the option of adding some kind of hot spice, lime and salt on top, but we opted for the plain mango. Delicious! 
  • Dropped off a document to be notarized. Unlike the US system, where notaries are fairly common and easy to find and the process isn't too complicated, I spent at least an hour there today (wait time between explaining what I needed, dropping off the document and paying) and my (1 page) document won't be ready until Friday. 
  • Ate a delicious dinner at a Uruguayan restaurant, including empanadas, bife de lomo, pasta and panqueques de dulce de leche (which may sound familiar to those of you familiar with my study abroad days in Argentina and visits to Uruguay)
  • Wandered around downtown Coyacan-- very cute area. I'll definitely be going back when it's not dark and raining =) 


Mango!
Mural outside of the Med School (Facultad de Medicina) at UNAM
The conquest of the energy by José Chávez Morado at UNAM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



 

blogger templates | Make Money Online